Thursday 17 May 2012

Diary of a Warlock


My time with Warlock: Master of the Arcane.




Month 1: I have just been crowned Lich King the IV, but to be honest it isn’t anything to shout about. I barely know any spells and my kingdom comprises of just the one city. Looks like I have my work cut out if I want to create a kingdom that will allow me to be top Warlock.

Month 2: I have told my scholars to concentrate on discovering some nice destruction spells and commanded my generals to recruit some troops. Hopefully soon we will be able to strike out and deal with the pesky spiders that have been harassing my borders.

Month 3: My squadron of Skeletal Archers and Skeletal Warriors easily squashed the spider hive and the way is now clear for me to create my first new city, and thus double the size of my kingdom. This ruling lark is child’s play.

Month 4: My barracks have been churning out the troops and I now have three Archer and three Warrior squads along with a squad of Zombies. These blokes are great as they slowly regenerate health and will surely scare my foes out of their wits. Funds are a bit low so I have ordered another city to be founded to the south, near the coast where I can hopefully go for my summer holidays.

Month 5: I met my first rival this week. He is a lowly Rat King and although he has four cities already I don’t think I will have too much trouble dealing with a lowly rat. However he has blocked my path to the west so I will have to look to the East for a place for my next city.

Month 6: Curses! The path to the west is also blocked by a certain Nicholas Frost. What kind of name is that for a Warlock? He sounds like the offspring of a certain winter dweller. He is already starting to try my patience by demanding a tribute of 50g. I paid up for now as I am unsure of the extent of his forces and kingdom and only a fool goes into battle without doing a bit of reconnaissance first. My scholars tell me they have discovered a powerful spell that will allow me to call a firestorm down on the heads of my foes. Maybe I will use it to melt Frost if he continues to badger me.

Month 7: Right, I’ve had it with Frosty boy. He sent another of his lackeys to court today demanded another tribute of 50 gold, he really has some balls does old Nicholas. My spies tell me that his army is made up of men and the city closest to ours is poorly defended. Maybe it’s time to set a fire under Frost a cause a bit of meltage.

Month 8: Well it’s war. Frost sent yet another demand and by this time I felt my troops were sufficient in number to take ... so I politely declined. Having prepared myself for perhaps having to teach Frost a lesson I had already stationed my army near the border so it was just a simple matter of moving in. Back on the home front and I have managed to recruit a Ghost Squadron. These guys are bad asses as they are totally immune to normal damage. Lets see how Frost’s forces stand up to them.
Month 9: It seems the intelligence was correct as ... fell with barely a fight. Half the citizens ran away when faced with my ghastly army and the other half soon capitulated after a few fireballs. If I knew it was going to be this easy I would have attacked a lot sooner. Still at least I have added a new city to my kingdom. Not bad work for around two months rule.

Month 10: My scholars continue to impress in their work and I now have a collection of spells that will strike fear into the armies of Nicholas Frost. They are a pretty timely arrival as the war seems to have bogged down a bit. The next city in our sights is Vindoland, the capital and seat of Frost. If I can take that down the rest of his kingdom will fall apart. However it is guarded by a mountain range upon which the enemy has dug in and are backed up by a catapult. Whilst my troops haven’t suffered any major loses it is proving difficult to wear the enemy down. Due to their superior defensive position it takes more than one squadron of Skeletal Warriors to make an impact on one of Frost’s squadrons. Consequently they often withdraw before we can wipe them out. In turn we can’t purse due to the devastating fire from the catapult. There is a town to the south, but advancing towards that would leave ... open to attack and we don’t quite have the forces to both protect ... and advance on ...

Month 11: Finally a break-through. My ghost squadron was able to advance through the enemy line thanks to its resistance to melee attacks and attack the catapult. I helped things along with judicious use of my fire spell and that was the end of that. Now we should be able to drive the humans back and move on to Vindoland. I have to say that is rather a strange name for their capital. It sounds like the name of a curry. Maybe Frost is partial to the Indian dish.

Month 12: Things never run smoothly. We are still at war with Frost and now Rat King is demanding a tribute of 200 gold. I would have thought that the way we have been bashing Frost in the West would have made Rat boy be a bit more civil towards me. If I had been able to role Frost’s forces back a bit quicker I would be marching on ... to shove Rat King’s request up his butt. However for now I will pay the price for peace, but I ordered the formation of more archers and warriors in case Ratty’s greed gets the better of him.
Month 14: Well it’s been a busy couple of weeks, hence the gap. We have eradicated Frost’s forces and my troops surround Vindoland. Unfortunately the stubborn fool will not give up and keeps summoning squadrons of pesky bats. My forces can easily deal with them, but added to the immense fortifications surrounding Vindoland it may be a while until we can take the city.

Rat King has been far too greedy and soon requested another 200 gold so I thought it time to show Ratty that the Lich King’s army has no equal and it is war on two fronts. Because we had reduced Frost’s forces to nothing I felt I was able to move some troops from the western front to the new war in the east. Added to my forces that had already started to build up in the area we steamed into Rat man’s territory and soon took Axelos Christ. Despite the easy with which we took the city my experience with Frost made me cautious, as while there seemed to be no forces anywhere in sight I knew that Rat King had a large kingdom and no doubt there would be forces hiding further east.

Month 15: Another major unit has been added to my army, Vampires. We also met the vanguard of Ratty’s army. It seems that he has gone for a different approach to Frost in that his army is small, but full of large units. It took four squadrons of warriors to take down the Werewolves, but having done so the way was open to Goblincliff and after dealing with a few more Werewolves that city fell into my hands as well.
I have to say that the human troops I conscripted from ... have stood up pretty well. Originally I thought I could use them as fodder to wear enemy troops down, but they have proved to be more durable than my Skeletons. 
Meanwhile in the West, Frost has suddenly had a change of heart and wants to sue for peace. Does he really think that after his behaviour I will let him keep his capital? Dream on Mr Snowman, Vindoland will be the jewel in my eastern empire crown.   

No comments:

Post a Comment